Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Wish They all Could Be California Girls


There comes a time every winter when getting dressed becomes so boring and routine it's almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Lately, everything in my closet seems dull and uninspiring, but adding even a small pop of colour looks oddly out of place in dismal Toronto this month.

 So, to avoid depression as I put together my layered black-upon-grey-upon-nude ensembles each morning, I often daydream of a world where the sun never leaves the sky and shoe choices aren't limited by icy sidewalks.

In this mystical world, I could wear a thin, single layer with no need for a jacket in February. High waisted shorts would be seen year-round without the accompaniment of leggings or nylons, and floral would be as common on people as it is in Monet paintings.  

I call it California.

























In an absurdly incorrect order: Michelle Phillips of The Mamas and The Papas (appears twice), stills from the Eva Michon film for Rita Liefhebber Spring 2011 (also appears twice), Pieces from the Peter Som Spring 2011 collection, Anonymous 1960's beach girls (appears MANY times), blue dress by Family Affairs, Sandra Dee as Gidget, Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast, The Beach Boys, California Girl magazine cover, pieces from the Jonathan Saunders Spring 2011 Collection, Johnny Depp and Franka Potente in Blow.

Maybe in a month or so I'll pack up my cats and run away to live in the land of sand and surf.  Till then I'll be California Dreamin'.

Between Shoe and I

1 comment:

  1. Gahhhh Alyssa, you took the words out of my mouth (and heart). Yesterdays weather seriously depressed me. I'm so ready for rompers and dresses and shorts without tights and sweaters. Once those days come we should have a day in the park! xx.x
    Casie

    ReplyDelete