Sunday, March 13, 2011

From Grannies to Gaultier

I've been rooting for team "granny style" for quite some time now. I have an affinity for peter pan collars paired with flower-embroidered cardigans, what can I say? Sadly I was beginning to feel that no one would ever truly understand my old lady love; with Spring's constant stream of neon and futuristic feel, I began to doubt my passion for mothball scented garments would ever see the light of the runway. 

But then Jean Paul Gaultier's Fall 2011 collection came along. It was love at first sight. 



Models balanced sky-high silvery beehive wigs on their way down the catwalk, weighed down by chunky clip on earrings and pearl necklaces. Many of the prints, such as the yellow silk number pictured below, were made up of tiny cameos, and sparkles snuck their way into a number of the black pieces. Fur, dainty leather gloves, and a designer grocery cart or two completed the look, adding a truly authentic "I raided my grandma's closet today" feel.


 It was wonderfully refreshing, not only because I love the style of those who reside in rocking chairs so much, but because had my Great Grandmother been alive, she would've fought me for one of these pieces. If Jean Paul Gaultier's Fall 2011 garments have the ability to potentially bridge an almost 80 year style gap between then and now, that's something I can't help but admire; it's true timelessness. 





I can't wait to go grey!
But lets keep that just between Shoe and I.

Photos Via Style.com

4 comments:

  1. I find it so funny that my style often goes from girl under the age of 12 to granny, skipping anything in between. Yay to the return of the granny! x.xx
    Casie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sentence "It was wonderfully refreshing…" it made me laugh as much as the one at the bottom "I can't wait to go grey!"
    But it really is refreshing to see something like Gaultier show. Now actually they don't really use many old stuff in their collections. Not like the grandma stuff. Great you like that the granny thing it's refreshing to hear that, too!

    ReplyDelete